This month’s blog, “How to engage a bookkeeper” assumes that you’ve agreed to take the plunge and outsource the time-consuming task of managing your books (and/or payroll) to an expert. We’ll talk you through how to do it.
First of all, this is good news.
In our opinion, working with a professional and highly qualified operation such as Angel Bookkeeping could be one of your best-ever decisions. Yes, we would think this. Of course. However, we know full well that, not to put too fine a point on it, bookkeeping is an essential function in your business.
And this is why:
Quite simply, maintaining and managing exact and up-to-date financial records through a bookkeeper keeps you on track.
As a business owner, with support from a bookkeeper, you can build a complete picture. A 360-degree view, if you like. Every month, knowing the amount you’ve paid out in your business (rent, wages, and other operating costs) versus how much comes in, puts you in control. Courtesy of a skilled bookkeeper, you’ll have the carefully nuanced information you need to make critical financial decisions.
Equally, if you outsource your payroll (Angel Bookkeeping offers this type of expertise), you can look forward to your employees being paid accurately and on time. Finally, a heavy burden, lifted from your shoulders.
You’ll be able to focus on all the other vital aspects in your business – whatever that means to you.
Let’s Break it Down Further
Typically, bookkeepers prepare the following financial statements:
- Income statement (your revenue and expenses over a certain period).
- Balance sheet (a snapshot)
- Cash flow statement (a record of the cash and cash-like equivalents that come into and leave your company).
- Statement of retained earnings (a reflection of your overall financial standing as it shows the accumulation of profits and their distribution to owners or shareholders – for larger SMEs generally).
Experienced bookkeepers also:
- Keep your receipts, invoices and expenses in order
- Prepare your bank reconciliation
- Monitor your sales, purchases and nominal ledger
- Provide tailored financial summaries and reports
- Offer regular business performance reviews, including value-add advice on how to save money
Plus, with Angel Bookkeeping and Payroll Services, there’s no more last-minute scramble to complete your filing on time. We’re AAT-qualified accountants and can submit your tax returns to HMRC via government-approved software – we use Taxfiler.
A Question – or Two
Would you like to understand the financial comings and goings within your company?
Would you appreciate more hours in the day to get things done? Perhaps you’re keen on a more accurate view of the key metrics of your financial health. For example, revenue, costs, profitability and so on. And, you’d like to know that you are compliant with HMRC, with everything filed on time, and error-free.
If so, let’s get started.
How To Engage a Bookkeeper
First of all, don’t be concerned. Your company deserves accurate, well-maintained and easily accessible records. With Angel Bookkeeping, it’s a very straightforward process, and we’ll guide you through every stage.
At the core of what we do is transparency and communication. In our view, it’s essential to great collaboration.
- Talk to us about your business. To start, let’s discuss what your company does, and who buys from you. Also, the size of your business, your “direction of travel” and any plans you may have for development and growth.
We want to understand what “efficient” looks and feels like for you and how we can make your working life more manageable and less stressful.
- Setting expectations and goals. We’ll let you know what you can expect from us.
Likewise, what we need from you – and when. Note: As expected, HMRC sets its filing deadlines in stone, with almost no exceptions. Angel Bookkeeping will work closely with you to ensure everything happens smoothly.
In the nicest possible way, we’re that super-effective voice of reason, reminding you of cut-off dates and what we need to produce quality financial data to the highest standards.
- Communication channels and processes. Managing your relationship with us is significant. Therefore, think about what would suit you best: phone, email or Zoom.
Ideally, we will need:
- A bank feed – an automatic connection to send us transactions from your business bank account into bookkeeping software programme such as Sage (we also work with QuickBooks). This will be a powerful time saver, ensuring accuracy and currency. We can also use your bank feed for other things, such as VAT and tax returns.
However, we can also work with manual records, although Making Tax Digital in 2025 will change all this.
Get in touch to ask for advice on how to set this up.
What Do You Need to Provide?
In a nutshell, your bookkeeper needs information. So, be prepared to share:
- Invoices and receipts for all business-related purchases, expenses and income.
- Your payroll information. Full payroll details, including employee names, their hours, salary/wages, etc.
- Tax information. Any relevant tax information, such as tax returns or payments.
- Business transactions. Details of any transactions in your company, including loans, investments, or sales of assets.
- Your budget. You may have set aside certain amounts for specific activities and initiatives. For example, marketing and sales. Or, training.
- Legal documents. Any documentation relevant to your operation, such as contracts or agreements.
Ready to Go?
Outsourcing your bookkeeping and payroll to a bookkeeper may feel like a big step. And, so it is. You may worry about confidentiality. Or, losing control of your financial records. Even the costs associated with these types of services.
Let us reassure you to the contrary.
It’s important to realise that all bookkeepers work to strict codes of conduct, including confidentiality and security. We’ll also ensure that, far from losing control of your finances, you’ll be firmly in the driving seat, with better financial organisation, improved tax preparation and much more time to focus on the core needs in your business.
And, remember: the opportunity costs within your operation can be immense. For instance, wasted time spent trying to pull your accounts together takes you away from why you started up on your own in the first place.
Angel Bookkeeping is here to help you thrive in the world of business. Not just survive. Get in touch today for more information about how we can help you.